Potty Training a Stubborn Boy

Around two, Graydon started showing signs of being ready to start the Potty Training process. The only problem was, he was excellent at saying “I don’t want to” and he was terrified of the potty. About a month and half after he turned two, I decided he was done with diapers. I took his diaper off and he peed on the floor. The look on his face was pure shock! The next time, he peed a couple drops before realizing he needed to get to the toilet. Two days of being naked or in undies, and he was completely  day time potty trained. In the past ten months he has had about ten accidents total, with eight of them being in that first month. We don’t use pull-ups either (I didn’t want to confuse him – I am sure that they work for some kids, but I wanted to go all or nothing). He tells us when he needs to stop if we are out and after a couple months he was pretty good at holding it.  Now I rarely have to make extra stops to the bathroom for him!

Disclaimer: I was gifted products featured in this post. This post contains affiliate links. All opinions are my own.

After almost a year of potty time with a toddler (boy) here are my tips:

1.) To start we made the potty the most fun place to be. He got to read all the books, play with bath toys and get a sticker! This really helped ease his fear of the potty.

2.)  Teach him to push down when he pees. (a good friend shared this tip with me) Even if you have a guard, those things get disgusting and aren’t always available!

3.) Get a good potty. I’ve tried FOUR potties and the only one that I like is this one from PUJ. It doesn’t stain, no places for pee to sit, it’s soft and it’s the only one that doesn’t leak. Even though we teach him to push down, he doesn’t always make it straight down into the toilet.

4.) Soon as he is ready to know the difference between going poop and pee – teach him to pee standing up. This is so much easier, and ensures he won’t be touching anything in public restrooms!

5.) Cute undies are always helpful. We love these from Zoochini!

6.) Make sure they are ready when you start!

7.) Avoid using pull-ups and anything that can confuse them during the day. (night time is a different story) Graydon wasn’t night-time potty trained until 2 year and 9 months.

8.) Stock up on books. I spent too much time in the bathroom for the first month of potty training. Luckily after that they are pretty independent! A subscription from BOOKROO is the perfect way to get new books for potty training. You can get $10 off with code ASHPEAV – that makes your first box 7.99 for 2-3 books!!

9.) Toddlers go potty a lot, which means they wash their hands a lot. Get a good hand soap that is gentle and safe. We love California Baby!

10.) Once potty trained you can start working on independence. Oh Happy Play shared some great tips on this guest post here.

You may also like...

11 Responses

1. Great tips! I’ll be potty training my son hopefully within this next year!

2. Savanna says:

My toddler is now almost three and we are just getting started, I’m so nervous! Lol

3. Rachel says:

These are great tips! I don’t know why it was so easy to train my son to go on the potty, but it was. He just… did. Cute undies helped, for sure! I’m worried though for my daughter to potty train. Since it was SO easy to train my son I feel like I will automatically have a rough road with her 😛 😛

4. Ashley says:

Making the potty a fun spot, how genius! Such incredible ideas, wish I could have read this before we went through this with our twins hehe! You rock momma!

5. Kelly says:

These are great tips! I wish I would’ve read them 3 months ago when we started potty training! haha 🙂

6. Mindy says:

My son is almost 3 and he seems to have no interest in going on the potty. I put him in undies today and he peed in them and cried hysterically (he doesn’t like to be wet) but doesn’t want to go on the potty. I’ve tried bribing him. I don’t know if I should keep pushing or give him more time. Any help or tips are much appreciated!

• Mommy On The Mound says:

Have you tried letting him go naked?? Or possibly just going into the bathroom and having him sit on the toilet every 30 minutes and celebrating when he does! It’s definitely tough and every kid is so different. If it isn’t working , I would just try again in a month or so!

7. Thanks for sharing your tips. Definitely book marking this for the future!!
    Angela

8. Amber Starr says:

Great tips! Aiden decided one day to stop and we went with it 100% 3 days later and he was done. We still don’t have the standing up thing down (he tried once, unassisted, and our bathroom was a pee war zone – LOL).

• Mommy On The Mound says:

That is awesome. It is great when they figure things out on their own 🙂 …. Graydon goes pee by himself lately…. and I definitely find myself cleaning the bathroom more often haha!

9. Good tips! My son started showing an interest in potty training a couple weeks ago so it looks like we are jumping on the potty train soon! 😉